Minutes and agendas

THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING ARE FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE

From now on our meetings will be different, offering talks, presentations and workshops on various aspects of cycling. The more technical aspects of our work will continue at smaller group meetings for those who want to be more involved.

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday June 6th at 7 pm in room 403 of the Babbage Building, Plymouth University: ( Map)

We have booked two interesting speakers for our next open meeting on Tuesday June 6th at 7 pm in room 403 of the Babbage Building on Plymouth University. Here is a link to a map of the Campus. Everybody is welcome to these meetings.

Tony Hall is the trainer at Plymouth City Bus and he’ll be talking about the successful programme offered to all their drivers regarding vulnerable road users. There’s been a noticeable improvement in Plymouth CityBus drivers around cyclists, in my opinion, and I’m looking forward to exchanging views with Tony, who is very enthusiastic about the programme.

Our other speaker is Mark Youngman from GWR who will talk about their policy towards cyclists, including their booking policy for bikes on trains, bike spaces on the new trains, and their plans for cycling facilities at stations, as well as their plans for Plymouth Station. Should be a lively session!

Those who are currently active in the Campaign (or would like to be) can stay for a few minutes after the above to plan a date for the next meeting and perhaps arrange meetings for one or other of the “groups”.


As mentioned above, we now hold small focused meetings of the groups within the PCyC. The last full and formal meeting was held as below.

Minutes of Plymouth Cycling Campaign (PCyC) meeting 7 pm Tuesday 29th November 2016
Venue: room 404, Babbage Building, Plymouth University. Map

Attendees:
Stuart Mee (chair), Sue Jennings, Dave Gibbs, Pierre-Henri Musiedlak, John Abraham, Colin Woodman, Clare Smith, Jim Woffenden (PCC), Mike Kelly, Bill Nicholson, Graham Wilson, Julie Fraser, Stacey Deamicis, David Clark, Jordan Guilfoy-Richards, Jim Baldwin

  1. Apologies – Paul Griffiths, Mike KellyThe meeting commenced with attendees introducing themselves and with a welcome to new attendees.
  2.  Minutes of last meeting: approved with no amendments
  3.  Changes to meetings and Officers’ roles
    Stuart explained that at a recent meeting consisting of members of the Infrastructure Group, the Expressway Group and Maintenance Group plus the Officers of the Plymouth Cycling Campaign a new strategy for meetings and a different apportionment of Officers’ roles had been proposed:
    Open meetings will now be held quarterly and detailed policy will be discussed at more frequent meetings by the relevant sub groups. The quarterly meetings will try and be more engaging and interesting and to feature talks and presentation. These changes were proposed and agreed.The following changes to Officers’ roles were put to the meeting and agreed:

    • Sue Jennings to act as Chairperson assisted by Stuart
    • Mike Kelly to act as Secretary
    • Bill Nicholson to act as membership secretary and treasurer

    The necessary changes will be made to the banking mandate to reflect these changes

  4.  Authentication of accounts:
    The treasurer confirmed this has been actioned.
  5.  Parking at Coypool/B&Q.
    Discussion re B&Q closure, (who have in the past, had no real concerns about cyclists using their car park), and new outlets moving and allegedly will be stopping the car park being used for recreational purposes. This car park is used by Breeze along with locals and visitors, not just for cycling, but for the railway. More information is required re the new tenants and their proposals for the site. Action by Clare Smith
  6.  Cycle delivery plan – Graham Wilson
    Graham presented an overview of the Cycle Delivery Plan, which hopefully will become law soon. Assuming this is the case, local authorities etc will be able to apply for funding.  We discussed upgrading the NCN in the eastern corridor which includes NCN2 from Ivybridge to the city centre and Brixton/Sherford to city centre.  This concept would be made possible as Devon CC has already identified NCN2 from Ivybridge to Deep Lane.  Other stakeholders identified so far include PL21 Transition Town Initiative, Sustrans, Dame Hannah Rogers School, Gary Streeter MP and PCyC.  It is recommended that PCyC invite PCC to join in.It was suggested that Oliver Colvile MP is invited to come on board (Action: Stuart) Jim Woffenden was asked if he could get PCC on board, to which he replied he would take the proposal back to PCC but also said that he was not aware of any funding available via the cycle delivery plan as yet.
    Graham is also meeting with Gina Small of SHDC re the Sherford development
  7.  Logo for PCyC
    Julie Fraser and Pierre-Henri Musiedlak gave a presentation of various possible logos for PCyC which resulted in a lengthy discussion. A short list of possible logos to be put on the webpage asking members to vote.
  8.  The Embankment
    After the article regarding possible ways to improve the Embankment shared path was emailed out, there were plenty of people saying “good idea”. Stuart wondered how we could take it further; Graham suggested it may be a candidate for the Cycle delivery plan. The proposals will be a major and expensive challenge but could result in a modern expressway style cycle route.
  9.  Speakers at future meetings.
    Suggestions included: – Rockets and Rascals; City Bus re their training programme which includes awareness of vulnerable road users; GWR – re bikes on trains
  10.  Review of structure and frequency of meetings
    Proposed 4 meeting per year with smaller meetings as necessary, Bill will complete a news letter explaining officer roles; Bill went on to say that new members are vital to PCyC.
  11.  Plymouth City Council – Cycling Commissioner
    PCC no longer has a Cycling Commissioner, does this mean PCC no longer thinks cyclists merit/need a commissioner? It was felt PCC should be contacted re their positionAction Dave Gibbs
  12.  Space for Safer Cycling Conference
    A Space for Safer Cycling conference is taking place in the Guildhall on January the 14th. The event is being organised by Cycling UK (Formerly CTC). It comprises a series of presentations and workshops looking at all aspects of campaigning for better cycling routes and facilities. PCyC will attend, although the meeting is open to anybody. Graham offered to speak on behalf of PCyC. There will also be a demonstration of a new app which allows users to report things they believe could be better. For more information and to register visit: http://www.cyclinguk.org/event/space-cycling-workshop-plymouth
  13.  AOB
    Dave gave a quick update re cycle path maintenance or lack of it, but was in the process of arranging a meeting with PCC. David Clark wished to mention and thank the organisers of the Retro ride; it was brilliant even though the weather was atrocious
  14.  DONM:
    Booked for 7th March 2017. Bill suggested the media needs to be involved, so invite them to next meeting and if possible try to ascertain how many would attend. Bikespace will be invited to speak.
  1. I just wondered how common it was for Employers to charge for secure cycle storage?
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I work for a company at Millbay, who received financial assistance to install cycle lockers and are featured on the Council website as supporting cycling to work, but they insist employees rent the lockers from them for a monthly fee and pay a deposit to use only their padlocks. Cars for employees are free to park in the staff car park on the same site. I find this a little odd but did not know if it was standard practice with other companies?

  2. Hi All
    4 weeks ago I had a cycling accident on my commute home from work. I was crossing the road between cycle paths at Sandy Road Plympton to go down Glenn Road and was hit by a motorbike. The deep lane junction and traffic chaos at Chaddlewood roundabout played a part in this. Traffic was queuing from deep lane up past Eagle Road towards the industrial estate, the crossing point was left clear and the vehicles stopped. I looked before I crossed and was confident it was clear, however I never saw the motorbike that hit me at speed going down the outside of the stationary vehicles (as it was on the bend of the roundabout) I was hurt and have only just returned to work today. The motorcyclist left me laying in the road with my bike on top of me and left the scene without giving me his details. I have reported it to the police. I think this crossing point is currently a dangerous point to cross for cyclists and pedestrians while the road works are in place – I just want to make people AWARE!!

    Thank you

  3. Hi all

    I was wondering if anyone is aware of what (if any) infrastructure will be provided for cyclists on the replacement Merafield road bridge over the A38 near Stag Lodge, Plympton. Have looked online but can’t find any plans.

    • Highways England are responsible for this scheme. Sadly we weren’t consulted and the comment above is the first I’ve heard about it. As an aside the Plymouth Cycling Campaign is now being consulted when HE consider it relevant. I have emailed them asking if cycling infrastructure is included and stressing why it should be. Watch this space…..

  4. Hi Bryan. Thanks for your input and I agree with you about the pavement along the Embankment, and so do many others. We have brought this up on several occasions with the Council but the response has always been along the lines of “at least there’s a path, there are other more urgent priorities”! Anyway, the maintenance of the existing infrastructure is on the next agenda so we’ll mention this again. See you at the meeting perhaps?

  5. Bryan Millings

    Hi, As a very keen cyclist (150 miles avg aweek) was very pleased to found this group. also a member of yogi cycling club.Is there a way of putting into your agenda the resurfacing of the Embankment cycle path It’s at a stage where I feel safer cycling on the road along the Embankment because of the condition of the path.
    Bryan

    • davidhext@aol.co.uk

      Hi all,

      Entirely agree with comments regarding cycleway along the Embankment;
      in particular I find the section from Sainsbury’s to Laira roundabout
      so bumpy that it shakes me to the very core. I have seen many cyclists
      recently preferring to use the road: that’s crazy! It’s high time PCC
      did something!

      Dave Hext

  6. May I clarify 2 items in the Minutes of the last meeting and add a new third item?

    Under “Sherford Expressway”, I referred to the policy of the Institute of Advanced Motorists for cycling infrastructure. The IAM policy dated May 2013 is not limited to London as it is for everywhere. Among many things it says ”
    • Infrastructure improvements which separate cyclists and heavy traffic should have the top priority for investment
    • Well maintained, smooth and pothole free roads, pavements and cycle lanes will assist in the encouragement of cycling
    • The IAM supports the use of 20mph zones in residential areas and where cycling and pedestrian flows merit it
    • Innovative shared space designs should be encouraged which create cycling friendly environments where it is clear that all road users have the same priority”

    Not mentioned in the Minutes, JW showed the meeting an extract from Sustrans Design Manual dated April 2014 titled “Handbook for Cycle Friendly Design”. In particular he showed page 15. I commend JW with showing this as it represents exactly what we as PCyC have been promoting for the Cycle Expressway for 2 years. I urge everyone to obtain a copy of this as it pulls together best practice as used.

    Finally may I draw everyone’s attention to a new cycling initiative from the Dept of Transport? It is “The Cycle Delivery Plan” dated September 2014. This wants all local authorities to create a cycling vision. There are opportunities for partnership with Government to help create fully integrated transport systems for which cycling is a major part. While not explicit in the Plan, I foresee new avenues of funding.

    My vision is for a policy of “No Ridiculous Car Journeys” as successfully undertaken at Malmo in Sweden, a maritime city comparable to Plymouth. It has always been my view that Plymouth has enormous opportunity for cycling and I see no reason that we cannot do what has been achieved not just in Malmo but many cities elsewhere where 25% of all journeys are by bike. It makes economic sense and is invaluable for people’s health

  7. At the last meeting Dave Wigmore requested thoughts/views re cycling in Plymouth, and all members are encouraged to contact their local councillors expressing their views/concerns, I have contacted mine (Moor View) expressing thoughts about shared pathways which are a danger to both cyclists and pedestrians, and do not allow cyclists to “make progress”. As stated at the meeting, it may make some non cycling councillors sit up and take note.
    =====================================================================================
    Hello
    As the councillors for Moor View, I am writing to you, as all members of Plymouth Cycle Campaign are being encouraged to do, re views/problems with cycling in Plymouth. Below are problems I regularly encounter, I appreciate the areas may not be in your ward, but perhaps you can speak to those whose wards the areas are in on my behalf.
    I regularly try to use shared paths from around the George Junction area towards Crownhill and on to Camels Head and basically they don’t work. They are dangerous to both cyclists and pedestrians for the following reasons.
    First example – Powisland Drive to Derriford roundabout – to narrow, very little room to pass/overtake each other. On Tuesdays, rubbish/wheelie bins causing obstructions, often parked vehicles doing the same, and as with all cycle paths, pedestrians/joggers often using iPods’ etc so they never hear you ring your bell. Because of these problems, cyclists like any other commuter who wish to “make progress” cannot do so, nor can club cyclists who often travel at 30 mph or more.
    St Budeaux by pass – while I appreciate the new section from the footbridge over the Parkway to Mowhay Road is quite wide therefore making it a little safer, its still as bad from Mowhay Road to Camels Head as the previous entry, very, very narrow, (especially near the sub station, about 2 feet wide) very little room to negotiate/pass/overtake, pedestrians/joggers, again often using iPods, other cyclists. Occasionally if there a groups they wont make it easy for you, even if you do the right thing and slow down to walking pace. So again you cannot make progress.
    I often also use the Embankment, this has all the problem already stated only worse, its busier so the problems occur more often, family groups, cycling or walking, dog walkers, joggers, people waiting at bus stops, all of which they have the perfect right to do.
    Even as a commuter I often travel at 25 mph or more, if I have to avoid any of the problems explained it’s necessary to use the road/highway otherwise I may as well walk.
    Could you along with other councillors see if there is a way forward to address these problems, i.e. – making where possible, pathways wider, moving street furniture etc to make cycling safer, not just for me, but also for less confident adults and children.

    Dave Gibbs

  8. Thanks Dave – great turnout and I think it went really well. Hope to do another one in the Spring.

  9. Enjoyed the ride today, nice to see so many turn up. Well done Stuart, looking forward to the next one. Thanks to the helpers as well, appreciated by all.

  10. A thank you to Stuart for all your past hard work

  11. Plymouth Campaign has been growing and increasing its work since Dom Tucker and I set it up in the summer of 2010. We have achieved a lot together (see our website) and it is vital for the future of cycling in Plymouth that the Campaign continues its work. I have now been chairing for 4 years and I believe it’s time for a change, to bring new direction to the group and allow me to develop my other interests.

    At the last meeting of PCyC I stated my intention to resign as chair and that resignation will take effect from July 15th, the date of the next meeting. I am happy to help the new chair and take time to hand over. I won’t be leaving the campaign, but I am keen to make the change.

    We will need a new chair from the next meeting.

    The role of chair is to act as a focal point and figurehead rather than do all the work of the campaign. As the projects we are involved with have grown in number over the 4 years I have tried to ensure that other members take on defined roles, so that the task of the chair is now very much one of leading and facilitating. There is one meeting every 2 months and a small but steady flow of enquiries to deal with.

    So if you are a cyclist and want the Campaign to carry on pressing for improvements then this is your opportunity to step up. You could be one of the active members or perhaps someone who has not yet been actively involved but feels they have the leadership qualities and communication skills necessary to carry out the role of chair.

    If this is you, please contact me as soon as possible by replying to this message or simply come along to the next meeting on July 15th .

    The Plymouth Cycling Campaign is now respected and listened to by those authorities involved in cycling locally. We are pushing our high profile campaign for an expressway out to Elburton and beyond, improving driving behaviour (including talking to City Bus drivers), canvassing police support, and have a number of other issues under way.

    We have about 250 subscribers to these emails and about 300 people use our Facebook page. Our bi-monthly meetings are much smaller and more friendly than those large numbers suggest. Everyone has a chance to take an active part, so please come to the meetings, help select the new chair and find out how you could become involved.
    Best wishes
    Stuart.

    Stuart Mee
    Chair
    Plymouth Cycling Campaign (PCyC)

  12. Part of the route from clearbrook to plymbridge on ncn 27 has become quite overgrown with stinging nettles. Quite often I have to move over and brush the nettles with legs as to avoid possible collisions with others, leaving me with stingging itchy legs. Isnt it about time the path was cleared of nettles.

    • Steve we have brought this up with Sustrans and Devon County Council. We have been told they are aware and planning to bring in some motorised flails to do something about it. Unfortunately nobody will take responsibility for the section between Plym Bridge and Coypool so this is left to Sustrans volunteers to do their best.

    • Bill Nicholson

      The section of path from Coypool to Plymbridge is the responsibility of SUSTRANS and recently a group of SUSTRANS volunteers spent a very hot Saturday morning clearing much of this path of overhanging vegetation and stinging nettles. We desperately need more volunteers and so if anyone is interested please contact SUSTRANS HQ at Bristol who will put you in touch with the local group. Any problems with this section of path should be reported to SUSTRANS.

  13. Just extra point, Bikeability training which is available free of charge to all Plymouth residents is strongly recommended to improve the skills of even experienced cyclists in dealing with more difficult stretches of road. telephone 550729 or e-mail bikelinks@Plymouth.gov.uk to book a place

  14. Just one clarification: the Bikeability delivered to schoolchildren by the School Sports Partnership on behalf of Plymouth City Council is delivered by fully qualified national standard cycling instructors.

    The concerns regarding the section of road from Laira Bridge eastbound to the first roundabout are noted

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: